Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Derelict - Perpetuation


2011 was a fantastic year for metal and upon writing my year end list I found myself thinking that 2012 has some really big shoes to fill. However this year has already dropped some mammoth sized albums on us and is proving itself to be just as good as last year.

Vying for my top 15 list this year is Montreal based Tech Death  band Derelict’s latest album Perpetuation, and by vying I mean slaying it’s competition so far. This is the first album I’ve listened to this year that I immediately felt would make my top albums list. The year is early, but I have a good feeling about this one.
Anyhow let’s get on with the album. 


I briefly reviewed their previous album Unspoken Words which was a fantastic piece of work. Perpetuation builds and improves on that album; stepping everything up from both a writing and technicality standpoint.  I loved Unspoken Words but this album has a better sense of flow and is definitely more technically proficient. It’s a well articulated barrage of sound that you can’t help but bang your head, play air guitar or pretend to drum to.  I find myself unable to stop attempting the double bass patterns while listening.

I’ve mentioned it before, but the vocals, done by Eric Burnet, remind me a bit of Trevor Strnad from The Black Dahlia Murder; mostly in terms of the higher vocal nature of this album. It’s not exactly the same, but it’s got similar stylings. It’s vicious and grabs you attention all throughout.

The drums are top notch. Jordan Perry absolutely slays on the set, does a great job alternating rhythms and as I mentioned earlier has some tasty double bass patterns. The drums are also fantastically produced, they don’t overpower anything, yet they remain clearly audible. It's a great example of how to be a great backbone for an album while also showing off your chops.

The guitars are very well done too.  Max Lussier takes care of both Rhythm and Leads on this album and does a great job of it. Derelict has a certain tone to their guitars that makes them sound a tad bit different from other bands, I’m not a guitar tech or anything so I can’t pinpoint what it is, but give it a listen and you’ll find they have a pretty unique tone. I’m not opposed to Djenty stuff, but it’s nice to hear something more original now and again. Max also provides awesome guitar solos throughout this album which really help both tie the album together and keep things interesting. There’s also a guest solo from Chris Donaldson of Cryptopsy, who also mixed and mastered this album.

On an interesting note Sébastian Pittet from the already well-established band Augury did all the bass work on this album. He provides some fantastic lines and has a few highlights throughout the album, the most notable being Digital Birthright which starts out with a bit of a bass solo. It’s a really neat addition to the album.

Overall this is a fantastic addition to the albums we’ve already seen this year and I feel that it’ll definitely have a great shot at being on a few top album lists (mine in particular). Derelict has shared the stage with some major bands such as Whitechapel, Fleshgod Apocalypse, and Decapitated, so their name is getting more and more well known, and for good reason. I wish these guy the best in the future!

The album is set to release April 20th, so go pre-order if you haven’t! It’ll be well worth your $10 or $20 (if you want a shirt too)! Also go like them on facebook and leave them a shout!

No comments:

Post a Comment