Tuesday, April 17, 2012

As I Lay Dying Enlist Bill Stevenson As Producer!


As I Lay dying have been writing new material for a little while now and have announced that they plan to enter the studio in the next few weeks with producer Bill Stevenson. Stevenson was the drummer for the bands Decendants and Black Flag and has established himself as a well known music producer, working with bands like NOFX, Rise Against, and Anti-Flag. However, I'm curious as to why they didn't go with a well known metal producer.

The Powerless Rise and An Ocean Between Us both did fantastically well sales wise, and are by far my favorite two As I Lay Dying albums. Both of those albums were produced by the well known Adam Dutkiewicz, who's as most people know is the guitarist for Killswitch Engage and Times Of Grace. I can understand why Adam might not be able to produce this new album seeing as Killswitch has had an eventful year on top of the fact that they are recording a new album, but there are plenty of other more well versed metal producers out there. Don't get me wrong, I know Bill is a capable guy, he's produced plenty of punk and hard rock albums, it's just a bit strange.

Anyhow, it's As I Lay Dying, therefore I'm really excited. I hope Bill and the band blow my expectations away and make me eat my foot on this one.

Here's the official statement from their facebook:

Agoura Hills, CA - April 16th, 2012 - Grammy® nominated San Diego metal act, AS I LAY DYING, are proud to announce that Bill Stevenson has been enlisted to produce their next album this May! Bill Stevenson has played drums for both the Descendents and Black Flag and is one of the most highly renowned producers in rock. His production credits include work on records by Rise Against,NOFX, Propagandhi, The Casualties, Anti-Flag and many more. AS I LAY DYING is recording this spring, with album release expected in the second half of 2012. As always, the band members are very active on twitter and bassist/vocalist Josh Gilbert has been posting images from the studio to chronicle the writing process. Follow Gilbert via the band's official twitter account@ASILAYDYINGBAND. Track titles, album art, new music, behind-the-scenes video, and more will be revealed as they are made available.


This album will serve as the official follow up to 2010's immensely successful The Powerless Rise, which debuted on the Billboard Top 200 at #10. The Powerless Rise also reached #2 on Billboard's Independent Albums Chart and #3 on Billboard's Hard Music Albums Chart. In Canada, the album debuted at #11 on the Top 200 Chart, #2 on the Indie Chart and #3 on the Hard Rock Chart. Additionally, the album reached the Top 40 in the following territories: Japan, UK, Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

No comments:

Post a Comment